Been wanting to write about this for a few days but never got to it...but better now than never.
So, the other day, I was at Publix on my way home from work to pick up a few things. Publix is one of my favorite places to shop. I love their customer service, the cleanliness, the short line and oh yeah their bakery - they make some of the best cakes and breads around....but I digress.
So, I was at Publix to pickup a few things we had run out of. It was supposed to be a quick pit-stop - thing 1, thing 2, thing 3, ring, ring, out. While I was zipping through the aisles, I couldn't help but notice this lady - short, athletic, fair, dark dress and had a bright red lipstick on. For some reason, that red lipstick stood out but at the same time blended perfectly with the rest of her features.
I passed her once in aisle one as I picked up thing 1, when I noticed her for the first time. Then, couple of aisle down, we crossed again. But something weird happened....
"That red lipstick looks really good on you..." (+/- a couple more mumbles")
"Why, thank you very much!" (With a nice big smile)
I then proceeded to pick up my thing2, thing3, ring, ring, and continued on my home and never saw her again.
Was pretty surprised at the spontaneity though. Made me think:
- Liked something, complimented someone, with no strings attached.
- Went off-pattern from my day-to-day introverted lifestyle
- Probably made her day a few points better with my compliment
- Didn't come off as flirting, or getting slapped, or banned from Publix forever (Cakes!!!)
Also made me wonder:
- Do we compliment each other enough? Folks around us? Folks we know? Folks we don't?
- Why don't we?
- Would I like to get a compliment out of the blue from someone I know? from someone I don't?
- Why is it always: "GM, How are you", "I'm good, how are you?". Do we ever expect to hear how someone's actually doing? Do we ever share anything other than "I'm good" when anyone asks us how we are?
While I was wondering all this, I also wondered, Why did I stop posting on my blog? Thought of resurrecting it. It's been around a couple of weeks since this incident and the wonderings, and here I am today, posting on my blog after many months.
Do I really need another lady in red for my next post is yet to be seen!
Post a Comment